How to discover what’s next for you – Ep 97 with Nancy Collamer
Nancy Collamer doesn’t believe in reinvention and thinks a focus on passions rather the purpose is more likely to provide the path to meaningful and fulfilling work.
“It’s about repurposing and recycling our skills rather than reinvention” says Nancy. “When you stand at the edge of your Second Act or Next Chapter you need to reflect on what you love, what you do well an what’s meaningful to you now and overlay that with what the market needs. That’s how you will find the next step for you, built on the foundations of your lived experience
Listen to the Episode
- The desire for meaning and contribution drive our second acts (a point we 100% agree on)
- Focus on exploring the PASSION acronym rather than fully focused on Purpose. That’s People, Activities, Skills & Strengths, Settings, Interests, Opportunities and Needs
- We seldom actually reinvent ourselves; rather we take our skills from the past and repurpose or recycle them for the next stage of our careers.
- Preparation tends to be what meets opportunity
- The Longevity Economy (as people live for longer) is providing many new opportunities for businesses
- Check in with what and who energises you – these are clues that you are in the right place or conversely, that you need to move and change – you might be in the right place, but with the wrong boss, colleagues or clients
- Dan Pink talks about propose with a Big P and a Little P. The big P is about changing the world and is not for everyone, but the little p is about contribution and we are all drawn to this.
Links and More Information
Nancy Collamer is an author, speaker and recognized expert on semi-retirement. She writes a monthly blog for the PBS site NextAvenue.org (and Forbes.com) and is the author of Second-Act Careers: 50+ Ways to Profit from Your Passions During Semi-Retirement (Ten Speed Press, 2013).
Nancy is an engaging speaker who has presented at corporations, associations and numerous universities. Her talks focus on retirement, second-act careers and reinvention. She holds an MS in career development from the College of New Rochelle and a BA in psychology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also certified as a retirement coach.
Nancy’s advice has been featured in numerous media outlets, including NBC Nightly News; the New York Times; CNN; the Wall Street Journal; Redbook; Ladies’ Home Journal; Marketwatch; and Fortune.
And on a more personal note … Nancy and her husband Joel live in Old Greenwich, CT and are the proud parents of two delightful adult daughters. In her spare time, Nancy loves taking long walks, going to craft shows and watching college basketball.
Please Support Us!
We hope you liked this episode and found it useful to your business (and you!) If you loved what you heard, we’d love your support either from a review on iTunes or a social media share.
Reviews are greatly appreciated and super helpful in spreading the word to other Next Chapter women. Thank you!