Barbara Huson (nee: Stanny) grew up wealthy. Her Father was the R in the famous H&R Block who impressed upon her the unspoken assumption that she could always “let a man take care of you”. This perspective had a significant impact of her life, allowing the belief that “money was not her thing” to influence her thoughts, actions and…. inaction.
“Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way that if you don’t deal with your money your money will deal with you and it took a crisis – losing all of my money and facing back taxes of over a million dollars at the age of 39 thanks to a husband who was a compulsive gambler”.
Next Chapter can often be preceded by challenges and anguish, but it’s from the ashes of a former life that new possibilities that may have previously seemed utterly impossible, can be created. Such was the case with Barbara.
She started her journey with the simple intention of empowering herself around money so she could take care of her daughters. This determination to educate herself has led to a global movement around the “secret wisdom of creating wealth and asserting power”, as she shared her own journey to financial independence so she could inspire and motivate other women.
Barbara has written several best selling books, hosted seminars, led retreats and conducted private and group coaching all connected by a consistent strong message of our need to do the outer and inner work of wealth creation.
Sacred Success, a course in Financial Miracles is the pinnacle of her work – an exceptional book that introduces us to the spiritual aspect of money, weaving women’s innate desire and potential for collaborative power into the Trilogy of Affluence – inner, outer and higher transformations. It’s a blueprint for overcoming fear and pursuing your Soul’s purpose for your own bliss and the benefit of others, while being richly rewarded.
- Secrecy and silence about money keeps us stuck when we most need to grow. We don’t have the conversations and ask the questions that are needed like “How did you get smart about money? What did you do” – it’s not nosey, it’s imperative!
- There are 3 levels of financial development – survival: when you don’t have enough, stability: when you have enough and profit is a major motivator and affluence: when you have more than enough and the desire for profit is superseded by the desire for purpose
- Money reflects our value, our perspective of ourselves. Men tend to be socialised to feel entitled and make sure everyone sees it. Women tend to feel flawed and make sure people know it, downplaying our skills and capabilities, not wanting to appear “arrogant”.
- This journey is not really about money – it’s about power. A powerful woman knows who she is and what she wants and expresses that unapologetically. That can be a confronting thought for many, but we focus on power with as opposed to power over and empowered women have a significant positive impact on the world. Becoming financially savvy and stable is the right of passage into power and affluence.
- For women, success is a very emotional process – we often desire acknowledgment and fear judgment. But when we are committed to making a difference and being on purpose, we can let go of this need for approval.
- What separates the extraordinary from the ordinary? When you do what you fear. That fear never goes way – it may ease, but it always remains. Even the most outwardly successful women Barbara interviewed still struggle with self-doubt, but they don’t let that stop them from taking action
- You cannot change your habitual behaviours without changing your brain – neuroscience is the missing link we need to explore
- There is a big difference between traditional ego driven models of success and Sacred Success. The ultimate goal of Sacred Success isn’t to “finish rich” (though that may be a desired outcome), but to go for Greatness, which requires you to become the powerful force you were born to be.
- You need to tackle the Outer Work of Wealth — understanding the practical steps of financial success, the Inner Work of Wealth — exploring your attitudes, decisions and beliefs that may be holding you back, and the Higher Work of Wealth — using money to make a difference, to do what you’re put on this planet to do.
- Our Next Chapters evolve over time and reveal possibilities and true purpose that we can seldom imagine when we begin. This journey began for Barbara in her early forties and Sacred Success took 7 years to write as she eventually “came out of the closet”, accepting that what she believed was her own purpose, empowering women financially, had actually expanded and changed. Her true purpose is to be a Spiritual Teacher.
- Community for women is crucial – we are relationship oriented and it’s therefore so important for us to have a community of support of Cheerleaders, Way Showers and Role Models. Spend time with the people who are where you want to be and link arms with those who are on the path beside you.
About the speaker
Barbara Huson (previously known as Barbara Stanny), is the leading authority on women, wealth and power. As a bestselling author, teacher & wealth coach, Barbara has helped millions take charge of their finances and their lives.
Barbara's background in business, her years as a journalist, her Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology, her extensive research, and her personal experience with money give her a unique perspective and makes her the foremost expert on empowering women to live up to their financial and personal potential.
Barbara Huson has been featured on Good Morning America, The View, Extra, The O'Reilly Report, and many times on CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, Fox News, PBS and NPR, as well as the New York Times, and USA Today.
Barbara is the author of 6 books:
- Prince Charming Isn’t Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
- Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to up Your Earnings and Change Your Life
- Overcoming Under earning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
- Finding a Financial Advisor You Can Trust: A Guide for Investors and Those Who Want To Be
- Breaking Through: Getting Past the Stuck Points in Your Life
- Sacred Success: A Course in Financial Miracles
Share the love
We hope you liked this episode and found it useful to your business (and you!) If you loved what you heard, we’d love your support either from a review on iTunes or a social media share.
Reviews are greatly appreciated and super helpful in spreading the word to other Your Next Chapter women. Thank you!