Your Next Chapter Podcast Episode 39: Tanya Geisler – Owning your Authority
The most reassuring and empowering message I heard from Tanya Geisler in this most wholehearted conversation was “if you experience the Imposter Complex that means you’re high functioning with strong values of integrity and mastery”.
Because REAL imposters, actual frauds, they don’t feel self-doubt at all as they barge forward with low capabilities but high confidence!
But you, me and so many other women stepping into our next chapters, we can get ourselves trapped by perfectionism, leaky boundaries, people-pleasing and diminishing of our accomplishments. And when we do that, all roads lead to the Imposter Complex. It’s pervasive and demoralising.
So, what’s the solution? Good old-fashioned awareness. Once you are aware of your patterns you can disrupt them and make new choices. Talk to yourself in a new way. Open up and embrace healthy fear and keep moving steadily towards purpose and own your unquestionable authority in Your Next Chapter.
An amazing conversation, an inspiring woman, this is a recipe for your confidence and success as we unpack the 12 lies of the Imposter Complex and the 3 strategies to overcome them.
Listen to the Episode
- The Imposter Complex is not a new concept – the ancients on India referred to “The Fraud Factor” that showed up to self-sabotage when an individual was on the precipice of a breakthrough
- Your Inner Imposter shows up when you are about to take a great step forward, so welcome her as a sign of growth – you are expanding your edges, and that’s always a good thing
- Be ever so careful and aware of the language you use to speak to yourself as it can corrode your authority and confidence
- If you have a tendency to internalise your mistakes or perceived “failures” but you externalise your successes, that’s a pretty good sign that the Imposter Complex has its claws locked firmly in you
- When it comes to business the great majority us do not have Mothers who were doing what we are doing – we are the first of a generation who are becoming role models, without having role models of our own and that’s challenging
Links and More Information
In this episode we unpack the the 12 lies of the Imposter Complex:
- Your self-doubt is evidence of your inadequacy
- Successful people don’t experience this
- You are all or nothing
- You have nothing useful to say
- Don’t tell anyone,
- You must tell everyone!
- You’re not ready yet
- You’ll never be able to pull it off again
- It’s just a matter of time before it all crumbles beneath you
- You can’t trust the praise of others
- You need to fake it til you make it
- Asking for help is for suckers
Tanya’s TedX talk is brilliant and I highly recommend watching it.
Tanya Geisler is Leadership Coach (CPCC) with a penchant for clarity and an abhorrence of the Impostor Complex. She’s coached hundreds of people who were ready to step into the starring roles of their lives.
The 12 Lies of the Impostor Complex (and One Truth), The Joy Pages, created Board of Your Life and the transformational Step into Your Starring Role coaching program, is a blogger for the wildly popular The Daily Love, has served as contributor and was featured in Canadian Living, and is an in-demand TEDx speaker who talks with great passion about the Impostor Complex, personal leadership, on all things joy, meaning and purpose (just try to stop her).
It is her indomitable belief that if everyone knew their own unique recipe for their personal brand of joy, they’d hold the key to shining in their life, in their work and in their life’s work. (It really does change everything.)
Please Support Us!
We hope you liked this episode and found it useful to your business (and you!) If you loved what you heard, we’d love your support either from a review on iTunes or a social media share.
Reviews are greatly appreciated and super helpful in spreading the word to other Next Chapter women. Thank you!