A new way of considering your new year intentions
A new year. Does it herald a new beginning?
Or perhaps instead, it’s an opportunity for recognition, for a realisation that as much as things change, much of us remains the same.
I mean that in a good way, a positive way. A reassuring way. Because I imagine if you took a tour back into your heart, you’ll find that many of the desires and intentions that are unfurling in your mind’s eye at the moment, flushed out by the January 1st energy and alchemy, mirror those that you committed too last year. And the year before that. And likely several years before that too.
That’s not an accusation, a poke in the ribs. It’s not laced with judgment or scorn, pointing to your procrastination or lack of action.
On the contrary, it’s evidence of your consistency. Your commitment. Your heart. Your unwavering vision of what you want and are here for.
How do I know this?
Because on a lazy, relaxed and rainy day in lockdown January 1st, 2021 style, I have found my own musings and writing from 2013. Eight long years ago. And what did I want then?
What was I envisaging and hoping for?
• To have a harmonious, loving, respectful and fun relationship with my son and daughter
• To be deeply connected with my husband, to have fun together, to spend intimate time together, to take time to just chat and dream and be together, trying new things
• To nourish my body with healthy, delicious food that energises me
• To move and embrace my body in ways that make me feel fabulous
• To have clear and healthy boundaries between my work and my family life
• To play more, to bring more fun and joy into my life
• To be prosperous and enjoy financial abundance
• To celebrate and be inspired by other people’s success and see that it shows me what is possible
• To confidently step into my own potential without apology and hesitation
• To feel unhurried and at ease, knowing there is all the time I need in the world
• To respond to things that grab my curiosity and attention, to book the tickets and just go!
• To prioritise spending time with my friends, letting them know how much they matter to me
• To connect women to their innate self-worth and all of the possibilities that become available to them when they are
Every single one of these desires are still relevant to me today, 8 years later.
And I am pretty sure if I sought out my journals from 2014, 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19 I’d find intentions and desires with a similar flavour. What does that tell me? That we are pretty clear about what we want, that the core of those wants stays fairly consistent over time, gently evolving with us, and that they are often similar to the wants of others.
We’re connected beings.
I’m paying particular attention to that final point I’d written about self-worth. It first surfaced way back in late 2007, after I’d managed a year of sobriety and began to realise that the pain of disconnection from my own sense of worthiness had manifested in numbing myself for years. The contrast of being connected and the doors of possibility that opened for me as a direct result, was significant. I’ve been committed to the concept of self-worth reconnection, a deep desire to share this message and method, ever since.
It’s a true desire for me, one which will finally transform into an active project this year.
Your true desires are patient.
They’ll linger. They’ll wait. All they need is sustained exposure to self-belief, to your willingness to try for them to ignite. Those are the simple catalysts that will allow your ideas to unfurl and take root in the rich soil of your personal potential so they can grow, expand and flourish.
Not having all the answers or skills yet are not fatal flaws. Perhaps it’s time now, for your doubts and fears to be seen for what they really are, simply an invitation to mastery. An opportunity to let go of old stories about what’s not possible for you, about what the market will or won’t respond to, and to instead choose a new story, one that entertains what might be possible if you begin.
And perhaps that time is now.
Perhaps 2021 is the year in which one, some or all of those slumbering, enduring desires of yours to have fresh energy breathed into them?
What will unfold in Your Next Chapter?
Let me know if you’d like my support to help you give your ideas shape and form.